Born in Athens on 22 August, 1955. Graduated from High School at Athens College. He studied painting from 1974 at Wimbledon School of Art and Saint Martin’s School of Art in London where he lived until 1980.
While in London he attended for several months the Fine Art restoration studio of St.Mihalarias as well as the Apollo Etching Studio.
During 1983 he lived for several months in Florence, painting the landscape and studying the museums of Italy.
He mainly works as a painter, printmaker, book illustrator and church muralist, while in the past he occasionally worked as a stage designer. He is the curator of the Mount Athos Art Archives, whose main domains are contemporary art inspired by Mt. Athos and the history of religious printmaking that once flourished there.
1979 – Cultural Center Ora, Athens.
1983 – Cultural Center Ora, Athens.
1986 – Athens Art Gallery.
1989 – Gallery Chrysothemis, Athens
1990 – Cultural Center Ora, Athens.
1993 – Gallery Chrysothemis, Athens.
– Gallery K, London.
1998 – “Athonite Prints”, Cultural Center Panorama, Athens.
1999 – “Athonite Prints”, French Institute, Thessaloniki.
– Gallery Chrysothemis, Athens.
2000 – “Athonite Prints” Aetopoulion Halandri Cultural Center, Athens.
– “Athonite Prints”, Municipality of Stageira, Ouranoupolis.
2001 – Gallery Chrysothemis, Athens.
2007-08 – “Monoprints”, Cultural Foundation of the National bank of Greece, Athens and Thessaloniki.
2009 – “Drawings and monoprints”, Historical Museum of Aegina.
– “Mount Athos Retrospective 1990-2008”, Agioritiki Estia, Thessaloniki.
2010 – “Mount Athos Retrospective 1990-2008”, Byzantine and Christian Museum, Athens
2011 – “A Museum of Trees”, Athens Art Gallery
2012 – “A Museum of Trees”, Cultural Foundation of the National Bank of Greece, Thessaloniki.
2013 – “365”, Athens Art Gallery
2014 – “365”, Polyedro Gallery, Patras.
GROUP SHOWS (selection)
1979 – Camden Arts Center, London
1985, 1987, 2010 – International Mini Print Exhibition, Taler Galleria Fort, Cadaques, Spain.
1987 1990 – International Miniature Exhibition, Del Bello Gallery, Toronto, Canada.
1987 – Contemporary Greek Painting, Sofia, Bulgaria.
1988 – Greek Post War Printmaking, National Gallery, Athens.
– Contemporary Greek Printmaking, Warsaw, and 1989, Belgrade.
1987, 1988, 1989 – Phoenix Gallery, London and Suffolk, England.
1989 – “Painting for a Table”, Athens Municipal Art Gallery.
1990 – International Miniature Exhibition, Marietta/Cobb Museum of Art, Georgia, U.S.A.
1997 – Art-Athina show, Athens.
1999 – Lavyrinthos Gallery, Katerini, Greece.
– “150 Years of the Skete of St. Andreas”, French Institute, Thessaloniki, Greece.
– Gallery Polyedron, Patra, Greece.
– “The Art of Icons», The Pieridis Gallery, Athens.
– Art- Athina show, Athens.
– 17th Biennale of Illustrations, Bratislava, Slovenia.
– Work by“Aisopos” members, Athens Municipality Cultural Center, Athens.
2000 – Gallery Prisma, Levadia, Greece.
– International Children’s Book Fair, Bologna, Italy.
– “Orthodoxy and Environment”, C.E.E. Kalamata, Greece.
– Contemporary Icon Painters, Bear Steps Gallery, Shrewsbury, U.K.
– Contemporary Orthodox Painters, Gateway Arts Center, Shrewsbury, U.K.
-“Painting the Olive Tree”, Aktia Nikopolis Foundation, Preveza, Greece.
-1st Triennial of Greek Printmaking, The Pieridis Gallery, Athens.
2001 – Illustrations, Art-Tower, Athens,
– Art-Athina show, Athens
2005 “Aquarium”, St Nicolas Bay Hotel, Agios Nikolaos, Crete
– “Artists books”, Euripides Bookstore, Halandri, Athens
– “The Table”, Skoufa Art Gallery, Athens
– Art-Athina show
2006 – “Angels”, Gallery K, London
-“Richness and Diversity”, Icons from Balkan countries, The Church of all Hallows, London
– “Homage to Penelope Delta”, Athens College, Athens
2009 – “Lost Heritage”, Gallery K, London and Nicosia.
– Works for Antonin Dvorzak’s Rusalka, Greek National Opera, Athens.
– “De Natura”, Artower Agora, Athens.
– “Greek landscapes in watercolor”, Contemporary Balkan Gallery of Limnos.
– “Painting for Athens” Cultural Center of the Municipality of Athens.
2010 – Miniprint exhibition, Lessedra Gallery, Sofia.
– “The world of I.Gennadios”, The Gennadius Library, Athens.
– “Tracing Istanbul”, Istanbul and Athens.
2014 – “2nd Athens Print Fest”. Greek Printmakers Association, Cultural Foundation of the National Bank of Greece.
– Keats Community Library, London.
1984 – 15th Biennale of Alexandria, Egypt.
2013-14 “Myths, memories, mysteries: how artists respond to the past”. Curator, Roger Wollen. Riddle’s Court, Edinburgh, Bede’s World Museum, Jarrow, Museum of Classical Archaeology, Cambridge.
Book Editing / Exhibition Curating
Spyros Papaloukas-The Mount Athos Paintings (research, editing) The Mount Athos
Art Archives and Agra publications, Athens 2004
Mount Athos in Contemporary Greek Art, He has curated the exhibition for the
Cultural Institute of the National Bank of Greece, in Athens and Thessaloniki, 2007-2008.
Thanasis Akrivopoulos curated the exhibition for the Municipal Gallery of Almyros, 2010.
Books and Catalogues
The Towers of Mount Athos, Harmos editions. Athens 1998 (text in Greek, prints, drawings)
A book with his own prints and drawings accompanied by a selection of literary texts.
Kampanis Markos, Painting on Mount Athos, 1990-2008, (in Greek). Indiktos publishers, Athens, 2009.
A Museum of Trees. Ekdoseis tou Foinika, Athens, 2011.
365, catalogue/2014 calendar, Istros Art Editions, Athens 2013.
He has been collaborating as an illustrator for Astir editions, Ekdotiki Athinon, Simonos Petras,
Babis Legas bookbinding Editions, Foinikas, Indiktos, the Journal Synaxis and others.
Monastery of Simonos Petras, Mt Athos – ceiling paintings 1995-96.
-St Tryphon fresco 1997.
Monastery of St Katherine, Mount Sinai, – Tarfa Hermitage, Nativity fresco.
– The life of Moses, 2007.
Prophet Elias church, Sifnos, 1990.
St.George church, Zographou, Athens.
Monastery of Virgin Mary, Kornofolia, Evros, church murals (since 2001).
Monastery of Vatopaidi, Mt Athos, mural at the entrance of the monastery, 2013.
Private chapel, Mykonos island, (in progress)
He has set up the “Mount Printmaking Studio”, with premises in Athens, and in Karyes
Mount Athos, where engravings are being printed from the 18th and 19th c. original plates,
kept in various institutions. He thus, participates in the current effort to study, preserve and
publicize the treasures of Greek religious printmaking.
He has produced three limited edition folios with his own prints, “Towers of Mt.Athos”, “Skete of St. Andrew” and “Iveron Monastery”.
Last modified: 14/06/2014